Thursday 1 October 2009

Why are some books harder to read than others?

Why are some books harder to read than others?  You know the sort, it sounds like it'd be right up your street, it has loads of great reviews about how good it is, yet some how you just can't get in to it.  I have a few books at home that I've never managed to read, I've tried on a few occasions to get through them but it just felt like such a chore.

I generally find that if my mind wanders quite a bit when reading, I'm either not that interested in the book or I'm not in the mood for reading.  I love to get stuck into a good book but do find I have to be in a reading mood.  I can get through a few books relatively quickly when the mood strikes though.




I have a few books by the author Val McDermid, and I really want to get stuck into her books as they sound like they'd be very good, just my thing.  I have managed to read one, 'The Distant Echo', it was actually quite a good book but it was a bit of a struggle to get through it.  I'm mid-way through another, 'The Mermaids Singing', which features the character Tony Hill from the tv series 'Wire In The Blood' (which I haven't actually seen).  I abandoned this book some time ago so I probably won't ever finish it, I've forgotten what's happened and can't bear the thought of re-reading it!  I haven't even attempted the other book I have, 'Beneath The Bleeding'.



 
She has a new book out, 'The Fever Of The Bone', and it sounds really good, maybe I'll have another go at reading one of her books, but for now I'm enjoying Tess Gerritsen's books featuring the characters Jane Rizzoli and Maura Isles.  I'm currently reading 'The Mephisto Club' which has some rather nasty murders in it!



So are you the type of person that can read just about anything or are there any books you've given up on because you couldn't 'get in to it'?

1 comment:

Ladybuggz said...

When I was about 9, I read The Hobbit and the first two books of the trilogy because it was summer and I was bored. I tried to read the last book, but I just couldn't get into it. 15 years later when the movies started coming out I picked up The Hobbit again, but I had to force myself to finish it. I like fantasy and some sf, but Tolkien (sp?) just isn't my cup of tea.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails